Total Pageviews

Friday, March 18, 2011

Spotlight on Geri Dittrich - Wardrobe Mistress on The Threepenny Opera

What is your role on this Production? I've joined The Threepenny Opera Production Team as the Wardrobe Mistress and as an occasional set painter. My job is to interpret the costume designs given to me by our Production Designer, Kat Evans, and to co-ordinate the procurement and/or the construction, and the management of the costumes for the rehearsals and the run of the show.

What is your background in theatre? I've been a Costume Designer, Costume Technician and a Wardrobe Mistress as a professional and as a hobbyist for many years. Most of my work has been done in Edmonton and surrounding areas. Some of it in community theatres. I am a graduate of the U of A's Dept. of Human Ecology's Clothing and Textiles. My original course of studies concentrated on Textile Chemistry, but after a short course in Fashion History, my interest turned to Historic Fashion Design and it's application in Theatre.

Why did you join this production? I joined for several important reasons: the production is at Walterdale Playhouse; the production is produced by Walterdale Theatre Associates; the team members are Walterdale Theatre members; the costume designs are fun and interesting; and I have a great team of Costume Dept. Volunteers that are willing to work with me on these costumes. I joined the set painting team to work with Joan Hawkins, to learn more about set painting and to pay back many hours of sewing that Joan has given me on many shows.

What kinds of challenges do you face? The greatest challenge is the time commitment. I spend 12 hours during each of 4 days per week in the theatre co-ordinating the tasks and the volunteers, as well as several hours per week away from the theatre, sourcing costumes and materials and scheduling volunteers. Another challenge is the interpretation of the design concepts and drawings that have been conceived by another designer, who is often unable to be with me while I work in the theatre. Another significant challenge is preparing tasks for and instructing volunteers that have limited experience as costume technicians. Co-ordinating up to 8 people at a time in a limited work space while constructing garments that 'bend the rules' of ordinary fashion and must be functional for an actor in an active stage play can be very stressful at times.

And the rewards? What makes the stress of a project of this nature fade out of my memory and become a 'fun' memory is the group of people that I work with (both veterans and newbies) and the camaraderie we have during our long 'work bees', the 'tea sessions' we have together, the post-show meetings (aka brunches) and the theatre/textile/sewing field trips we attend together. Along with this I try to share my knowledge with my crew and have them gain a sense of pride in their work as it appears on the stage and instill a sense of belonging to the 'Walterdale Family'. I value their support and their friendship. We are Walterdale!

Oh, and the rest of the team and cast! They are a pretty good bunch of people too. They seem to like our work and are having fun in rehearsals, not to mention the play itself! It seems to be a good selection for this season. I think I'll really enjoy watching it if I get a chance. I will certainly enjoy listening to it backstage.

With all of these factors contributing to the fabulous outcome on Opening Night, I think I made a good choice in joining this theatrical experience.

* Photo is Geri Dittrich and Marcia Rigney at The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas Opening Night reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment