Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Meet Athena Gordon, The Maid in Dracula!

What is your role in DraculaI have the pleasure of playing The Maid for Lucy.

What brought you out for Dracula? 
I thought it would be fun to audition. I did a number of shows (on and off stage) for the Walterdale between 1999 and 2001, but nothing since, and figured it might be nice to return to my roots.

What is your background in theatre? At Walterdale? I have a BA in Drama, 2 years of which I did in the Stage Management program at the U of A. I started as an actor in High School, and when I didn't get in to acting school, I moved backstage. Most recently I was Queen Anne in Horizon Player's The Three Musketeers, and before that was Stage Manager and Assistant Director for A Midsummer Night's Dream (also with Horizon Players). My Walterdale credits include: The Vampyre (ASM), Dr. Faustus (ASM), Good night Desdemona, Good morning Juliet (Sound Operator), Infidelity (One Act - Stage Manager), The Birthday Party (ASM), The Country Wife (Sound Operator & Stage Hand) and St. Frances of Hollywood (Nurse). I will also be the Assistant Director for Blythe Spirit here at Walterdale later this season.

Favorite Vampire movie/play other than this one, and why? You know, it's funny - this is the 2nd Vampire play I have worked on, but I don't usually watch Vampire movies or plays. I do, however, love my guilty pleasure Vampire TV shows: True Blood and The Vampire Diaries. I mostly enjoy the cheesiness of them, without the overwhelming Twilight-esque melodrama and sparkly undead. 

Favorite Halloween Story? 
When I was growing up, we lived in a townhouse complex, and one year when it was ridiculously cold, my brother and I had to go Trick-or-treating all bundled up. My brother was dressed up as a Ninja Turtle, and his mask blocked his view. So much so, that he ran right in to a tree! We all laughed, because he jumped right up and rant to the next door - completely unfazed! We still have good laughs over it! 

What are you most looking forward to about this production? This is a really great cast and crew, and everyone seems to get along really well. It will be nice to make a return to the stage beside such a great group of people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment