Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Meet Darrell Portz, Director of Dracula!

What is your role on the production? Director. This is my directorial debut.
 
Why did you want to direct this show at Walterdale?  I was cast in the role of Dracula in 2005 when this show was performed in Yellowknife, NT by Lunch Pail Theatre.  I feel in love with the script and I have always wanted to do it again.  I first decided to try and get it into a Walterdale season about 2 years ago, and I was pleased Walterdale selected it to lead off this new season.
 
What is your background in theatre? When I moved to Edmonton in the summer of 2008 I wanted to stay involved in theatre and so I auditioned for the Melodrama, Blackhearts in the Green Room, and was cast as the villain, Barnaby Badlington.  Since then I performed in The Mail Order Bride and Wyrd Sisters.  In addition, I have done sound design for numerous other productions.
 
Favorite Vampire movie?  My favourite vampire move is Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers.  I loved the comedic approach to the characters.
 
Favorite Halloween costume?  I don't normally dress up for Halloween.  Maybe because my birthday is October 31 and I am goulash enough.  One of my favourite costumes, when I was a kid, was when I dressed up as Frankenstein.  Complete with square shaped head, which I fashioned out of a cut down shoe box, that I painted green.
 
What are you most looking forward to about Dracula?  Seeing my vision of the play come to life. I have been so lucky to have such a talented cast and production crew.  The dedication each of them have brought to the process so far, is more than I could have ever hoped for.  Even though I intimately know the script, I expect to be drawn into the story and held captive.
 
Photo Credits:
Upper - Provided
Lower - Darrell in Wyrd Sisters, photo by Douglas Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment